Aventuras: A Cross Country Adventure With Two White Vans and a handful of Actors.

This blog promises many adventures. Here's my disclaimer, y'all: *This crazy cool blog is a creation of myself, they call me *tina*, an actress in the Kennedy Center Imagination Celebration on Tour Production of "Alexander Who's Not Going to Move." The opinions expressed in this blog are solely mine (mine, mine, mine!) and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Kennedy Center, its board, or employees. Additionally, this blog is not supported by the Kennedy Center.* Got it???

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Des Moines, IA

We left Indianapolis 10am and hit the road for our trip to Des Moines, IA.

The trip was smooth, cows and farms as far as the eye could see...and around 2pm we finally decided to stop for lunch. We pulled off of 74 West into Galesburg, Iowa. After passing a Subway, McDonald's, and KFC, we decided to explore down the street a little and found a lovely ma and pa place, Four Star Family Restaurant. Jordan, Ashley, Caitlin and I enjoyed a homecooked lunch in this small town diner. The middle-aged waitress was jovial and smily, and when a tall, lean, wrinkled gentlemen entered shortly after we did, no words were exchanged as she walked up to his table, flipped over his mug and poured him a cup of his regular coffee. The decour included over-sized wooden forks and frosted mirrors hanging on the wall, and mauve and tan floral wall-paper. The "non-smoking" booths were located directly next to the smoking booths...and everyone else in the diner (all 5 of them) were indeed enjoying a smoke with their coffees.

After closing our small tabs, we hit the road again. A little later we stopped for gas in Brooklyn. Iowa, that is. "Brooklyn 80" made me smile (See pic above). I felt like I was at a museum, rather than a gas station, and shouldn't be allowed to touch the pump that looked as if it was older then me. I'm marveled by these new sights. Is this my own country? I feel like a foreigner exploring a distant land.

I am sitting in a Hampton Inn just outside Des Moines. There is an Oktoberfest going on in the city tomorrow, our day off...adventure awaits!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home